The Light of Pure Knowing
thirty meditations on the essence of non-duality
£54.95 $79.95 BUY
Box set includes: six mp3 CDs with 18 hours of audio; a book of transcriptions of the spoken meditations; and a slipcase.
‘Meditation is what we are, not what we do; the separate self is what we do, not what we are’
The Light of Pure Knowing box set includes: six mp3 CDs with 18 hours of audio; a book of transcriptions of the spoken meditations; and a slipcase.
The guided meditations in The Light of Pure Knowing were transcribed, catalogued and selected from hundreds that Rupert Spira gave over a period of three years, from 2011 to 2013. They are a deeply contemplative and profound exploration of the non-dual nature of our experience, and have the power to take the listener or reader back to the source from which they arise. You will not encounter philosophy here, but a journey into the most essential and ever-present nature of our experience – pure Knowing, the truth of our own Being – free from the thoughts and feelings that the mind superimposes upon it.
Those familiar with traditional teachings will recognise both the Vedantic approach, which, through reason and discrimination, separates out the eternal reality of all experience from its changing appearances, and also the Tantric approach, in which the entire realm of experience is known and felt to be shining with the light of pure Knowing.
However, no previous philosophical, religious or spiritual orientation is required for these contemplations, for they offer a contemporary, original and highly experiential approach to the essential nature of all experience, free from all traditional religious or spiritual dogma.
'The reader of these words may be reassured because Life has placed in their hands, in the form of this book, the golden thread that will enable them to trace their way back to the source of intelligence, love and beauty in themselves.’
– Francis Lucille, Author of Eternity Now, The Perfume of Silence and Truth Love Beauty
'Rupert Spira is one of the finest non-dual teachers of the present time. His penetrating insights into the nature of Awareness, delivered with exceptional clarity and eloquence, take you straight to the heart of Advaita. These meditations, delivered without any esoteric language or metaphysical baggage, show that awakening to our true nature can be as simple as it is profound. They gently guide us to a recognition of the “I am” that is the unchanging essence of our Being, and the source of lasting happiness.’
– Peter Russell, Author of The Global Brain and From Science to God
'In The Light of Pure Knowing, Rupert Spira, one of this generation’s pre-eminent teachers of non-duality, invites us to intimately investigate the heart of our direct experience. These highly original, spontaneous and beautifully crafted guided meditations guide us first to discover the Great Death of being the empty, open and luminous knower, and then the Great Rebirth of being pure Knowing. They are specifically designed to address the common discrepancy between what we know and what we actually feel in the body, the stronghold for the separate sense of self. I highly recommend this brilliant, elegant and potent set of meditations.’
– John J. Prendergast Ph.D., Senior Editor of The Sacred Mirror and Listening from the Heart of Silence and Professor of Psychology (Emeritus), California Institute of Integral Studies
'In this remarkable book of meditations, Rupert Spira removes the veil from our true Self, and uncovers unseen yet ever-present aspects of our essential nature of pure Being. The Light of Pure Knowing is an invitation to a potentially life-changing investigation into the nature of our experience, and is a profound contribution to the changes that are currently taking place in the human mind. If our species is to move towards a new and better understanding of ourselves and the world in which we live, Spira’s teaching is surely a central and guiding force: this book is an eye opener and an exciting tour guide into an inspired life.’
– Lothar Schäfer, Author of Infinite Potential – What Quantum Physics Reveals About How We Should Live and In Search of Divine Reality – Science as a Source of Inspiration
The Fragrance of Eternity – A Note to the Reader
1. Our Essential Nature and Its Apparent Veiling
2. Meditation Is What We Are, Not What We Do
3. You Impart Reality to the World
4. The Certainty of Our Own Being
5. The Borderless Field of Pure Sensitivity
6. Realigning the Body with Our Understanding
7. Seek Peace and Happiness in the Right Place
8. The Rejection of the Now
9. Awareness Only Knows Now
10. The Eternal Now
11. Beyond Subject and Object
12. The Empty Body of Pure Knowing
13. The Second Awakening
14. Be the Seeing, Not the Seer
15. The Two Paths of Discrimination and Love
16. One Dancer, Many Dances
17. One Seamless, Intimate, Indivisible Substance
18. True Meditation Never Ends
19. Breathing In and Out the World
20. Every Breath Belongs to the Universe
21. The Heart of Experience
22. The Essential Unity of All Experience
23. The Open, Empty, Transparent Body
24. The Infinite Field of Pure Knowing
25. Emptiness Moving in Emptiness
26. From the Body to Sensing to Pure Knowing
27. Pure Knowing Outshines All Experience
28. The Body as Luminous, Empty Vibration
29. Enlightenment Is Not an Event
30. The Light of Pure Knowing
About the author
From an early age Rupert Spira was deeply interested in the nature of reality. At the age of seventeen he learnt to meditate, and began a twenty-year period of study and practice in the classical Advaita Vedanta tradition under the guidance of Dr. Francis Roles and Shantananda Saraswati, the Shankaracharya of the north of India.
During this time he immersed himself in the teachings of P.D. Ouspensky, Krishnamurti, Rumi, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta and Robert Adams, until he met his teacher, Francis Lucille, in 1997. Francis introduced Rupert to the Direct Path teachings of Atmananda Krishnamenon, the Tantric tradition of Kashmir Shaivism (which he had received from his teacher, Jean Klein), and, more importantly, directly indicated to him the true nature of experience. Rupert lives in the UK and holds regular meetings and retreats in Europe and the USA.